qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Convert AioContext to Gsource sub classes

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Convert AioContext to Gsource sub classes
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:45:53 +0200

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 05:59:58PM +0800, Wenchao Xia wrote:
> 于 2013-8-16 16:12, Wenchao Xia 写道:
> >于 2013-8-16 15:15, Wenchao Xia 写道:
> >>于 2013-8-16 0:32, Michael Roth 写道:

> >>   qemu_aio_wait() is relative simple to resolve by
> >>g_main_context_acquire(), but also shows additional code needed
> >>for a thread switch:
> >>(guess following is the plan to implement qemu_aio_wait())
> >>qemu_aio_wait(GMainContext *ctx)
> >>{
> >>     return g_main_context(ctx, PRI_BLOCK);
> >>}
> >>at caller:
> >>{
> >>     while (qemu_aio_wait(ctx) {
> >>         ;
> >>     }
> >>     g_main_context_release(ctx);
> >>}
> >>   The above code shows that, in *ctx switch operation, there is
> >>more than glib's own event loop API envolved, qemu_aio_wait(). So
> >>it referenced to a question: what data structure
> >>should be used to represent context concept and control the thread
> >>switching behavior?  It is better to have a clear layer, GMainContext or
> >>GlibQContext, instead of GMainContext plus custom function. The caller
> >>reference to at least two: nested user block layer, flat user above
> >>block layer.
> >>   In my opinion, this problem is brought by Gsource AioContext, Take
> >>the call path of bdrv_aio_readv(*bdrv_cb) on raw linux file as
> >>an example, there are aync following operations involved for AioContext:
> >>1 the bdrv_cb() will be executed in bdrv_co_em_bh().
> >>2 bdrv_co_io_em_complete() will be executed in event_notfier_ready().
> >>3 aio_worker() will be executed in worker_thread().
> >>   Operation 2 and 3 are tracked by block layer's queue after Stefan's
> >>dropping io_flush() series.
> >>   Now if we stick to GMainContext to represent context concept,
> >>then when thread B want to aquire GMainContext used by thread A,
> >>all works setupped by A should be finished before B aquire it,
> >>otherwise B will execute some function supposed to work in A. The
> >>work refers to the three kind of aync functions above.
> >>   For this issue, we can solve it by different means:
> >>1 the event loop API doesn't guarentee work setupped by thread A
> >>will always be finished in A. This put a limitation to caller to
> >>consider thread switching. I talked on IRC with Stefan, and thinks
> >>it is possible for the nested user block layer, but I still want to
> >>avoid this to the flat user above block layer.
> >>2 ask caller to finish all pending operations.
> >>   2.1 glib GMainContext API plus custom API such as aio_wait(). This is
> >>bad that detail under GMainContext is exposed to caller. Since
> >>operation 1 mentioned before is not tracked yet, to make sure bdrv_cb()
> >>is called in thread setupped it, 1 need to be added in the track
> >>queue, or in the call chain of aio_wait(), check the queue plus check
> >>operation 1. Perhaps add a custom function ask caller to call as
> >>context_work_flush()?
> [...]

I don't understand why you want to add AioContext *ctx to bdrv_read().
The synchronous APIs already work fine since no event loop integration
is necessary at all (the event loop is hidden inside the synchronous
function).

Since AioContext provides a GSource, integrating with an application's
glib event loop should also be easy.  The only hard part is timers,
since we use nanosecond timers - there we should just round up to
millisecond granularity to libqblock.  The nanosecond timers aren't
critical in libqblock, only for running guests.

Stefan