qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vmdk stream-optimised format

From: Alex Bligh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vmdk stream-optimised format
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 07:51:40 +0100

On 20 Aug 2013, at 02:42, Fam Zheng wrote:

> OK, thanks for explaination. That sounds a valid use case for
> streamOptimized. However I am afraid QEMU and its users benefit not much
> from this feature anyway, because it's moving a VM away to VMware, :)
> that might be the reason it's not there yet, and I don't know about any
> plan to do it in the near future.

Well, given it is an open source project, the more interoperability
the better. Even if it just means users need not worry about lock
in to faster hypervisors ... Being more serious, qemu-img is
part of the project too.

> But if someone sends patches for this, I think it is possible to get in.

I guessed "send code" might be the answer :-)

What I'm not sure of is whether the streaming format has to be written
sequentially from as opposed to random writes. I believe the way
qemu-img convert works, one can't guarantee the writes are
sequential.

--
Alex Bligh