qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Free BIOS for MIPS Malta (was: mips_malta: do not raise

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Free BIOS for MIPS Malta (was: mips_malta: do not raise exceptions when accessing invalid memory)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 07:18:22 +0200

Am 13.08.2013 23:26, schrieb Aurelien Jarno:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:20:41PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> On 13 August 2013 22:15, Aurelien Jarno <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I agree that Andreas is taking time to update the various devices,
>>> thanks. That said he's not the one who has introduced this new API, and
>>> that should not be a justification for removing the Malta board or even
>>> the MIPS target from QEMU.
>> Has anybody suggested that? I don't think we're anywhere near
>> that stage yet (and I'd certainly object at this point to
>> dropping devices simply because they hadn't been QOMified).
> We have seen some patches in the past intentionally breaking
> non-qdevified devices, and it has been suggested on IRC to schedule
> MIPS target for removal because there was no free bios available.

Redboot / eCOS is free and available in source for Malta:
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/redboot/malta.html

Some years ago I testedit with QEMU and was able to build
(there are no pre-built binaries for Malta) and run it (command
prompt, basic commands).

There are also some recent mails on using U-Boot with MIPS Malta:
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2013-January/144505.html

So we have at least two free BIOS available.

The large number of systems, devices and file systemswhich are
supported is one of the really great features of QEMU.I don't
want to miss this diversity, although I am aware that commercial
distributors are more interested in features which support their
business like KVM, configuration or migration.

Regards,
Stefan