qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU savevm RAM page offsets

From: Juerg Haefliger
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU savevm RAM page offsets
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:30:23 +0200

Hi,

I'm writing/extending a little tool (courtesy of Andrew @pikewerks)
that dumps the RAM pages from a savevm file to a raw memory dump file
so that it can be analysed using tools that require a raw dump as
input.

I can successfully locate and extract the pages and write them out to
file. This seems to work for smaller VMs but when the memory size of a
VM approaches 3.5 GB, things start to break, i.e., the analysis tool
(volatility in this case) trips over the file. I believe this is
because of PCI devices that are memory mapped below the 4GB memory
mark which my tool doesn't account for at the moment. In other words,
my tool puts all the pages in consecutive order without leaving
'holes' for the memory mapped devices. Question: is the information
where the holes are and what the 'real' page offsets are in the savevm
file or how could I gather that info?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
...Juerg