qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Watchdog device in Qemu user mode

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Watchdog device in Qemu user mode
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 19:28:51 +0200

Hi Bastian,

Am 18.07.2013 19:09, schrieb address@hidden:
> The processor is usually embedded and
> programs run without operating systems or with custom ones designed for
> hard realtime. Would it be much work to port from user mode to system mode?
> I am using a c-compiler to create testprograms and these programs are
> serving the watchdog. This results in segmentation faults when I try to
> execute loads or stores on addresses from the watchdog.

You need a softmmu a.k.a. system emulation for that. linux-user is only
for emulating programs that would actually run under Linux operating
system. You'd use the -bios command line option to load bare metal software.

Having no link to your code it's hard to judge how much work it might
be, but in general system emulation is easier - you need to write a
simple board file to load your binary, the instruction emulation remains
unchanged, maybe one or two stub functions for interrupts and MMU faults.

Regards,
Andreas