qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Qcow2 Deduplication

From: Gaurab Basu
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Qcow2 Deduplication
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:35:56 +0530

Hi,

This is with reference to the deduplication patch for qcow2 image.(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-11/msg02811.html)
I applied the patch and the code compiled without any error.

I converted a raw image to qcow2 image using the usual qemu-img convert command. Then i created a new qcow2 image using the previous qcow2 image as backing file.
The option i give is -o dedup=on
It gives the following error "Deduplication only supported with compatibility level 1.1 and above (use compat=1.1 or greater)"

I tried with -o compat=1.1, the image is properly created but deduplication is not occuring in the image which should have happened given the dedup flag was on while creating. ( i have verified it)

Any help regarding how to create an image with deduplication flag on is appreciated.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Gaurab Basu