qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Proposal for hw/ split

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Proposal for hw/ split
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:31:11 +0000

On 11 March 2013 11:17, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> - Files go in hw/ARCH/ if they used to be in hw/ARCH/Makefile.objs and
>   they define multiple devices (example: hw/arm/tc6393xb.c)

Why are multiple devices in one file a bad thing (or at least, a
thing that should determine where a file lives)? Should piix_pci.c
move to hw/i386 because it happens to define four devices?

Basically I disagree that trying to move more things into hw/$ARCH
serves any useful purpose. The split-by-subsystem stuff looks good.

> == hw/arm ==
> hw/a15mpcore.c                               hw/arm/a15mpcore.c

One device.

> hw/a9mpcore.c                                hw/arm/a9mpcore.c

One device.

> hw/arm11mpcore.c                             hw/arm/arm11mpcore.c

Two devices but I can split them if you insist.

> hw/kvm/arm_gic.c                             hw/arm/kvm/arm_gic.c

If we're going to move kvm specific devices out of hw/kvm I'd
rather they just went in hw/. It's an implementation detail that
a device's back end is KVM specific, so kvm_arm_gic.c should go
alongside arm_gic.c.

> hw/strongarm.c                               hw/arm/strongarm.c

We could split the individual devices out into files, which would
leave sa1110_init() itself (which kind of wants to be a SoC
container eventually I guess).

> hw/tc6393xb.c                                hw/arm/tc6393xb.c

This is only a single device. (It happens to be a not-converted-to-qdev
device.)

-- PMM