qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Windows doesn't like MSI/MSI-X

From: Hannes Reinecke
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Windows doesn't like MSI/MSI-X
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:48:05 +0100

Hi all,

recently I've tried to teach megasas MSI/MSI-X. While it works perfectly under Linux, Windows refuses to.

With really strange symptoms:
Windows Vista will BSOD when both MSI/MSI-X registers are present, and Windows 7 will hang as Windows (apparently) thinks MSI/MSI-X is enabled, whereas qemu doesn't and uses INTx.
So the Windows 7 guest will never see any interrupts.

The _really_ odd thing is that when I remove the MSI-X capability Windows will fall back to INTx and everything works.

Even more curious is that from the logs Windows will only ever write zeros into the MSI/MSI-X config registers.
Which makes me wonder what's going on there.

As I'm not sure if that's my fault I was wondering if anybody every succeeded in getting AHCI to use MSI under Windows.
Any pointers?

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
address@hidden                        +49 911 74053 688