qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] default guest RAM size?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] default guest RAM size?
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 13:40:38 +0800

On 5 March 2013 13:26, Michael Tokarev <address@hidden> wrote:
> For many years, qemu defaults to 128Mb of guest RAM size.
> Today, this is just too small, and many OSes fails to boot
> with this size, more, they fail to produce any reasonable
> messages either (eg, windows7 just crashes at startup).

If you make the default bigger then some boards will crash
or behave weirdly because they try to map more RAM in than
will fit into the space for RAM in their address maps.

> Some distributions (eg ubuntu) had a local patch to increase
> this value, for years.
>
> Maybe it's time to increase the default RAM size a bit?
> Make it arch-specific if needs to be ?

I tried two years ago to get a 'default RAM size' parameter
added to the QEMUMachine struct, but the patchseries got shot
down because it didn't attempt to address NUMA / simulate
the fact you can only add RAM one DIMM at a time / etc...

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-03/msg02907.html

-- PMM