qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] 'commit' error for 'all': No medium found

From: Jeff Cody
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] 'commit' error for 'all': No medium found
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 08:05:52 -0500

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 07:29:31PM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing this with git head and 1.4. Apparently, commit on a
> non-populated medium now generates this error instead of ignoring it
> like in the past. As we stop iterating over the block devices while
> doing "all", this may leaving uncommitted data behind.
>
> Didn't test, but I suspect 58513bde83 has something to do with it.
>
> Jan

Hi Jan,

That commit just affected the reporting on the error - for the "all"
case, bdrv_commit_all() still returned error on the first failure.
When that happened 'commit' may have indicated success rather than
error, depending on the error.

That would have also left uncommitted data behind, but done so
silently and reported success.

However, commit e8877497 added error checking to the bdrv_commit()
return value in bdrv_commit_all() - before that bdrv_commit_all()
ignored all error returns of bdrv_commit().

Do you think there specific error returns that we should ignore then, in
bdrv_commit_all(), such as -ENOMEDIUM?

Also, could you expand on what you mean by non-populated
medium (test case) - is the error being returned "No medium found"?

Jeff