qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes 2013-01-29 - Port I/O

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes 2013-01-29 - Port I/O
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:29:58 -0600

Andreas Färber <address@hidden> writes:

>>> That reminds me I should solve this in a more elegant way.
>>>
>>> qxl takes over the vga io ports.  The reason it does this is because qxl
>>> switches into vga mode in case the vga ports are accessed while not in
>>> vga mode.  After doing the check (and possibly switching mode) the vga
>>> handler is called to actually handle it.
>>
>> The best way to handle this would be to remodel how we do VGA.
>>
>> Make VGACommonState a proper QOM object and use it as the base class for
>> QXL, CirrusVGA, QEMUVGA (std-vga), and VMwareVGA.
>
> That would require polymorphism since we already need to derive from
> PCIDevice or ISADevice respectively for interfacing with the bus...

Nope.  You can use composition:

QXLDevice is-a VGACommonState

QXLPCI is-a PCIDevice
       has-a QXLDevice

> Modern object-oriented languages have tried to avoid multi-inheritence
> due to arising complications, I thought. Wouldn't object if someone
> wanted to do the dirty implementation work though. ;)

There is no need for MI.

> Another such example is EHCI, with PCIDevice and SysBusDevice frontends,
> sharing an EHCIState struct and having helper functions operating on
> that core state only. Quite a few device share such a pattern today
> actually (serial, m48t59, ...).

Yes, this is all about chipset modelling.  Chipsets should derive from
device and then be embedded in the appropriate bus device.

For instance.

SerialState is-a DeviceState

ISASerialState is-a ISADevice, has-a SerialState
MMIOSerialState is-a SysbusDevice, has-a SerialState

This is what we're doing in practice, we just aren't modeling the
chipsets and we're open coding the relationships (often in subtley
different ways).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori