qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for 2013-01-29

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for 2013-01-29
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:01:40 +0000

On 29 January 2013 08:49, Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:
> - What's the plan for -device and IRQ assignment?
>
> We need to start coming up with a solution to connect irq
> lines between cmdline created devices and interrupt
> controllers. Currently, I'm aware of 2 potential users
>
>   - virtio-mmio
>   - device assignment on platform devices
>
> I see 2 options:
>
>   - create a new platform bus that enumerates IRQs linearly,
> similar to how the ISA bus works
>   - allow arbitrary irq pin connection using a global pin
> namespace

Surely what you want is to specify IRQ connections via
something like "my-uart.irq => interrupt-controller.in[14]"
(adjust punctuation to taste)?

They're just device-to-device connections.

You also need some way of specifying where in a memory map
mmio devices should live. This is a little tricky because
you don't want to assume a global flat address space (in
future if we get the memory APIs right then devices could be
in the address space of just one of 4 CPUs, for instance).
  "my-uart.regs => cpu1.memory[0x4000..0x4100]" ?

-- PMM