qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Bug with qxl vga memory settings

From: Fabio Fantoni
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Bug with qxl vga memory settings
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:37:39 +0100

Debugging qxl problem with xen I tested first qemu without xen and I found that qxl memory mapping problem is not only xen related. After some tests with qemu-only I found that -global qxl-vga.vram_size=N and -global qxl-vga.ram_size=N (where N is for example 16384 or 65536) are bugged.
Qxl ram regions with these parameters on all test are always:

qxl-0: ram/pri: 32 MB [region 0]
qxl-0: vram/32: 0 MB [region 1]
qxl-0: vram/64: 0 MB [unmapped]

Qemu crashes when start using qxl.
For full log of one test with this problem see attachment qemulog1

Without -global qxl-vga.vram_size=N and -global qxl-vga.ram_size=N qxl ram region it seems correct and qemu doesn't crash.
For full log of such test see attachment qemulog2

With -global qxl-vga.vram_size_mb=N and -global qxl-vga.ram_size_mb=N it seems correctly working.
For full log of such test see attachment qemulog3

About qxl with xen there are other problems.
Is there a way to understand that is an effective xen problem and not on qemu? Should I searching something specific in the logs?
See attachment qemu-dm-WHEEZY
For example I saw that on ALL tests with right qxl memory region 0 and 1 there is also another unmapped region > 0 mb. Is it correct or is it wrong and can be the cause of crash with xen if qemu search for videoram > region0+region1?
qxl-0: ram/pri: 32 MB [region 0]
qxl-0: vram/32: 32 MB [region 1]
qxl-0: vram/64: 32 MB [unmapped]

I saw also that qemu 1.3 debian package use vgabios from vgabios 0.7 package instead of seabios 1.7.2 package.
Can be a problem with qxl?

If you need more test and detail tell me and I'll do/post it.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.