qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/18] acpi: switch to memory api

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/18] acpi: switch to memory api
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 17:49:37 +0100

Am 04.12.2012 17:05, schrieb Gerd Hoffmann:
> On 12/04/12 16:57, Andreas Färber wrote:
>> Am 04.12.2012 14:04, schrieb Gerd Hoffmann:
>>> Same patches as posted last week.  No review comments, 1.4 tree
>>> open, so it should be ready to go in now.
>>
>> That's not quite true - you ignored my review comment wrt MemoryRegion
>> placement (and I left it to you to look for further instances). Can you
>> please fix that up on your branch or as follow-up?
>
> You mean that empty line after parent_object?  I can send a followup for
> that one.
>
> Why it is important btw?  Just style?  Some parser tool?

Mainly style: QOM uses the parent's struct as field to block the memory
but otherwise attempts to hide this field from users:

/*< private >*/
FooState parent_obj;
/*< public >*/

Bar baz;

In the past I found places where this was mangled up and the parent
field was not the first field as it needs to be, not caught by the qdev
macros.

I have hopes that when we preprocess for QIDL we can also improve the
vtable situation, possibly inserting the parents' fields individually.
Either way my don't-touch-the-parent cleanups will turn useful. ;)

> Can we make
> checkpatch.pl check this?

Maybe? I wouldn't know where or how since it's not within one line...
And last time I attempted to change checkpatch.pl, my patches were
turned down. :(

>> Did you see any overlap with Julien's series or can I post my PULL in
>> parallel?
>
> Given that you kicked out the acpi changes due to q35 merge conflicts it
> should work in parallel as my series touches acpi only.  Havn't actually
> tried to merge though.

Just found out that the apm patch trivially conflicts (hw/lpc_ich9.c) -
you added a notifier whereas Julien changed apm_init() signature.
I can update my branch once Anthony has pulled yours.

Cheers,
Andreas