qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding another debug protocol

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding another debug protocol
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:43:12 +0100

On 2012-11-14 17:28, Peter Cheung wrote:
> hi Jan, you are the maintainer of the gdb server of qemu?

Not formally. I'm heavily using it for kernel debugging for a couple of
years. Therefore, I'm fixing and enhancing it from time to time.

> I think if I can't create my debug protocol, it is not easy to adopt
> peter-bochs debugger to qemu, in peter-bochs, there are some features I think
> current gdb protocol doesn't care, such as profiling, kernel module
> monitoring, call graph history, real time address probeing.
> I know qemu is made by a lots of people, seems not easy to convince everyone.

A good general rule, not only in open source, is to at least try to fix
existing infrastructure. If that fails provably, you can come up with a
new version to replace or augment things.

E.g., you didn't explain yet why the gdb protocol and our existing stub
cannot be extended in a backward compatible way that allows your
debugger to attach to it. That way not only your debugger (is it Windows
hosted?) could benefit from the improvements but the whole (x86) gdb world.

Jan

PS: Please don't top-post, cite what you comment on.

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SDP-DE