qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm: remove "boot=on|off" drive parameter compatib

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm: remove "boot=on|off" drive parameter compatibility
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 08:19:29 -0500

Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2012-10-01 11:31, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> It's not just about default configs. We need to validate if the
> migration formats are truly compatible (qemu-kvm -> QEMU, the other way
> around definitely not). For the command line switches, we could provide
> a wrapper script that translates them into upstream format or simply
> ignores them. That should be harmless to carry upstream.

qemu-kvm has:

 -no-kvm
 -no-kvm-irqchip
 -no-kvm-pit
 -no-kvm-pit-reinjection
 -tdf <- does nothing

There are replacements for all of the above.  If we need to add them to
qemu.git, it's not big deal to add them.

 -drive ...,boot= <- this is ignored

cpu_set command for CPU hotplug which is known broken in qemu-kvm.

testdev which is nice but only used for development

Default nic is rtl8139 vs. e1000.

Some logic to move change the default VGA ram size to 16mb for pc-1.2
(QEMU uses 16mb by default now too).

I think at this point, none of this matters but I added the various
distro maintainers to the thread.

I think it's time for the distros to drop qemu-kvm and just ship
qemu.git.  Is there anything else that needs to happen to make that
switch?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori