qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 2/2] target-arm: Add support for Cortex-R4F

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 2/2] target-arm: Add support for Cortex-R4F
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 15:54:16 +0100

On 22 September 2012 12:45, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
> With QOM ARMCPU we can now distinguish between -cpu cortex-r4 and
> -cpu cortex-r4f despite identical MIDR.

I'm not convinced that we should treat the R4 any differently
to any of the other CPUs which we model which might or might
not have an FPU. For the others we basically model the "all
options enabled" version of the CPU. It might be nice to have
the ability to separately toggle options on and off in general.
Basically if we add 'cortex-r4f' then we're stuck with supporting
that name forever for backwards compatibility.

(I have a feeling we've had this conversation before but I forget
the outcome.)

-- PMM