qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Bug in option parsing

From: Martin Kletzander
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Bug in option parsing
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:05:51 +0200

Hi everybody,

while coding the support for Jason's dump-guest-core option I realized
there is (probably) a problem with the way QEMU parses additional
machine options ('dump-guest-core', 'kvm_shadow_mem' etc.). Running QEMU
with option to -machine works ok, but using '-M' (as libvirt does) works
only w/o additional options, otherwise it ends in an error (the whole
string is probably parsed as a machine name).

Is '-M' so obsolete it shouldn't be used at all or is it just an bug? We
still use '-M' everywhere I know and '-machine' isn't compatible with
older versions and different builds of QEMU.

Should I file a bug or do we have to drop '-M' for this situations?

Have a nice day,
Martin