qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Qemu memory operations

From: Prathmesh Kallurkar
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Qemu memory operations
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 22:01:49 +0530

Hello friends,
I intend to use Qemu to generate a memory trace for the execution of a x86 guest operating system.

According to tcg wiki page, Qemu uses a handful of helpers to generate load/stores to the target(guest) memory.
This list of instructions is tcg_gen_qemu_ld8s/u, tcg_gen_qemu_ld16s/u, tcg_gen_qemu_ld32s/u, tcg_gen_qemu_ld64. (We have a similar set for store instructions).
I am trapping all calls to the above functions in the target-i386/translate.c file

However, I am still missing load/stores of certain instructions like
cmp ecx, [r12+0x4]
mov r10b, [r13+0x0]
mov byte [rax+0xf0000], 0x0
mov byte [rax+rdx], 0x0

Questions ::
1) Can someone please point to other load/store points (direct or indirect) that I am missing ??
2) Does qemu provide a single entry point function for accesses to guest memory (like guest_read()) which can be instrumented for tracing all loads from the guest memory ???
3) Can somebody please point to a good documentation where I can understand how qemu maintains the state of the guest memory ??

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Prathmesh Kallurkar