qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other o

From: Alon Levy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other out
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 09:00:55 +0200

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 08:41:36AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Alon Levy <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Ack.
> >>
> >> This is why I've been advocating for a new PV device model that can
> >> negotiation in full SPICE support.
> >>
> >> Then we could keep libspice an optional dependency, but move all guests
> >> to use a single graphics driver.  Likewise, management tools wouldn't
> >> need to worry about multiple types of graphics cards.
> >
> > This sounds great, but how would that negotiation work? Do you intend
> > for a VGA device (i.e. pci vendor & product id's of cirrus) that is also
> > a virtio device and a guest driver will recognize this by poking some io
> > ports or looking at another pci field?
>
> It would be an VGA/SVGA/VESA/VBE compatible virtio-pci device.  If we
> take virtio-pci, do vga_init_common, set the class codes correctly,
> move the vram bar from 0->1 and update the VGA BIOS accordingly, it Just
> Works.

Sounds good.

> With no feature bits negotiated, this is all you get--a plain VESA
> compatible interface.
>
> We would then add feature bits to allow you to do basic operations like
> setting display mode, damage update, and perhaps some 2d acceleration
> like blit.  This all happens through messages on a virtqueue.
>
> While this is totally virtio-pci ABI compatible, we'll need to enhance
> the virtio API within Linux to allow the notion of "map large memory
> region."  It's not entirely clear to me yet how to do this only because
> non-PCI transports probably need this memory to be guest allocated.
> It's possible that we could add another vring type abstraction layer to
> handle this difference.
>
> Anyway, we would then add additional feature bits to things like Spice.
> It's not clear to me yet how this would work in detail (I don't know
> enough about Spice).  The easiest thing to do is simply introduce a
> dedicated virtqueue for Spice and speak exactly the same protocol that
> QXL does today.

Sounds right.

> The trouble with that though is that some of the things in QXL today
> probably overlap with features we want if libspice is not available
> (like mode setting).
>
> So if it's reasonable, it would be best to negotiate in Spice
> feature-by-feature using Spice command format where it makes sense and
> something more generic where it makes sense.
>
> QEMU would have to fully decode these commands and hand off the results
> to libspice if it was there.

Why not make libspice mandatory? fix it to be big endian compatible
(it's already 32 bit LE compatible). I think this can be done either via
git submodules (either just for spice-protocol or for spice) or
continuing to use it as an external dependency.

Any guest without a qxl-virtio driver would work with the VGA/VBE
device, so we can port the driver gradually to all guests.