qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other o

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other out
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 17:35:23 +0300

On 07/31/2012 01:24 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> So Anthony listed a few, the transport being inconsistent with all our
> other paravirt model is also part of the problem, and the spice code
> base just hurts my eyes. The fact that it's essentially GDI centric
> makes it a non starter for me anyway.

Cirrus too is gdi centric.  That's an "I dislike Windows" objection, not
a technical one.

>> We do have bad linux performance but the is work going to improve it, by
>> adding RENDER implementation to our driver and protocol additions, among
>> others.
>
> Which still makes me feel like we should be doing something better
> targeted at Linux exclusively.

On x86 we run a wide variety of guests, targeting Linux exclusively
excludes too many guests.  Plus the let's throw everything away and
start from scratch until we move to something else before it's really
completed strategy is incredibly wasteful.