qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] q35 and ahci

From: Jason Baron
Subject: [Qemu-devel] q35 and ahci
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 12:16:29 -0400

Hi,

Update on q35 testing with various os's.

Linux
-----
-RHEL6.3 installs + runs
-Fedora 16 install + runs
-Fedora 17 - squashfs errors
   running on already installed f17 seems ok.

Windows
-------
-W7 - install error:

"A required cd/dvd device driver is missing. If you have a
driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.
"

Related to the new ahci controller, since if I go back to an
ide conroller it keeps going (albeit the install is *very* slow).

So I'm wondering if we need an ide compatibility mode? Or perhaps, there
are other ideas.

-Windows 95 - vnc is blank even with an ide controller instead of ahci.
Yamahata reported getting q35 working with windows 95, I think?

BSD
---
Haven't tried any yet. Any specific versions?

As a remminder here are my trees:

git://github.com/jibaron/q35-qemu.git
git://github.com/jibaron/q35-seabios.git

A basic qemu cmd to start q35, looks like:

$ /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64  -name "f16" -M pc_q35 -m 1G -smp 4
-hda
./f16.img --enable-kvm  -bios <path>/q35-seabios/out/bios.bin
-acpitable file=<path>/q35-seabios/out/q35-acpi-dsdt.aml  -monitor stdio

Thanks,

-Jason