qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Bad mail header?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Bad mail header?
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 11:56:46 +0100

On 1 July 2012 11:16, Juan Quintela <address@hidden> wrote:
> Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:
>> this mail and the other mails from this patch series trigger
>> an alert in my mail filter:

> You are right,  I also have duplicate In-Reply-To and Reference fields.
> No clue if the problem is with git or mailer.

It seems to have been reported as a Debian bug against git a while
back:

but the git-send-email manpage suggests that upstream would like
to consider this as user error:

# It is up to the user to ensure that no In-Reply-To header already
# exists when git send-email is asked to add it (especially note that
# git format-patch can be configured to do the threading itself).
# Failure to do so may not produce the expected result in the
# recipient’s MUA.

I think what this boils down to is "don't tell both format-patch
and send-email to do threading". send-email threads by default,
and format-patch doesn't thread by default, so the path of least
resistance is probably not to pass '--thread' to format-patch.
(Alternatively you could tell format-patch --thread and send-email
--no-thread, but I don't know why you'd want to do that that way
around.)

-- PMM