qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to measure guest memory access (qemu_ld/qemu_st) ti

From: Xin Tong
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to measure guest memory access (qemu_ld/qemu_st) time?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 05:58:02 -0400

It is a pity that QEMU does not outline the TLB lookup code. I do not
know how much impact the inlined TLB code has due to icache misses...

Another benefit one gets from outlined TLB code is that it is much
easier to gather the amount of time spent in the TLB. one can just
profile QEMU and count up how many ticks happened in the outlined TLB
translation code.

In fact, i do not think outlining QEMU inlined TLB lookup is too hard
to implement. one can still keep most of the original inlined TLB code
and use call/ret to get a TLB translation. of course, one needs to
come up with a new linkage.

Xin