qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] vio-net driver

From: Charles . Tsai-蔡清海-研究發展部
Subject: [Qemu-devel] vio-net driver
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 05:17:17 +0000

We recently ran an Ubuntu 11.10 VM which was installed with VirtIO NIC driver. The VirtIO net driver came from the Ubuntu's default package. The VM we installed was configured as a bridge mode. When we ran the Iperf test against the VM, the network interface of the VM was fairly unstable. Sometimes, the network interface of the VM could not receive the packets and we needed to bright the network interface down and up in order to make it work. After we replaced the VirtIo Net driver with ne2k driver and it worked quite stably now.

We know that the performance of virtIO is much better than ne2k in virtual environment. We would like to use virtio driver instead. If this is the virtio driver issue, can you tell us where to get the latest virtIO driver for Ubuntu VM? Otherwise, tell us how to make the virtio net driver work in Ubuntu VM if you have ever had similar issue before.

The version of Qemu installed in Ubuntu is 1.0