qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 1.1-rc3 release

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 1.1-rc3 release
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 23:42:49 +0800

On 2012-05-22 11:32, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Hi,

On behalf of the QEMU Team, I'd like to announce the availability of the
third release candidate for the QEMU 1.1 release.  This release is meant
for testing purposes and should not be used in a production environment.

http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-1.1.0-rc3.tar.bz2

You can help improve the quality of the QEMU 1.1 release by testing this
release and reporting bugs on Launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/

The release plan for the 1.1 release is available at:

http://wiki.qemu.org/Planning/1.1

And a detailed change log is available at:

http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/Next

Known Issues:

   - There are no known release blockers in -rc3.

[1] may not block but is fairly annoying due to [2] when using pulseaudio.

Then I have two smaller MSI fixes [3,4] pending that need not have to
wait for 1.1.1 IMHO.

Can you split them out of that larger series then?

Done.

I'd like to wait for this until 1.1.z.

Finally, I just recalled that writing out 1.0 or older vmstate formats
is still broken [5,6]. Was the plan now to adjust the stable versions
instead?

You mean, migrating to older than 1.0 instances is broken?

If qemu-1.1 with -M pc-1.0 (or older) writes a vmstate, the
corresponding previous qemu version won't be able to read it due to the
reasons I cited.

After -rc4 is out now: ping to both topics.

I thought long and hard about this. I think we need to look at fixing this in 1.2 and backporting to 1.1.z. It's a graceful failure so I don't think it's reasonable to block the release over it.

Also, http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/152761 should go
in before the final release.

This really needs to be 1.1.z material.  It's come in too late for the 1.1
release.

Mike Roth is going to maintain the stable branch for 1.1 and will be doing monthly releases, so we'll have a 1.1.1 on July 1st or so.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Jan