qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Keysymbol interpretation missing in QEMU's VNC server?

From: Erik Rull
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Keysymbol interpretation missing in QEMU's VNC server?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 21:22:02 +0200

Hi Fabian,

Fabian Holler wrote:
Hello Erik,

I just want to route all keypresses to the guest without interfering with
the native QEMU key layout. Is that possible?

Yes, if you start kvm without the "-k" option and use a linux VNC client that
supports RFB extended key events (eg gtk-vnc, tigervnc).
With the extension the keyboard layout only depends on the OS settings in the
VM.

I tried tigervnc and tightvnc for Windows - which both advertise the feature on their website - same issues as I have with UltraVNC - no AltGr combinations and no "Umlaute" available.

I need a Windows VNC client that can handle that - do you know a vnc client that can do that?

How does the QEMU VNC server receive the key
presses? In the same manner as the direct way does by getting scancodes or
via "real" characters?

http://berrange.com/posts/2010/07/04/more-than-you-or-i-ever-wanted-to-know-about-virtual-keyboard-handling/
http://berrange.com/posts/2010/07/04/a-summary-of-scan-code-key-codes-sets-used-in-the-pc-virtualization-stack/

Really interesting - Linux works, Windows doesn't :-( Also when using a Linux remote X-Windows (via SSH tunnel) on my Windows PC it works - only the plain Windows VNC client corrupts the keypresses....

regards

Fabian

Best regards,

Erik