qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ahci drive: how to make it non-bootable?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ahci drive: how to make it non-bootable?
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 08:43:06 +0200

  Hi,

>> bootindex=1 for virtio
>
> -drive file=winguest.raw,if=virtio,bootindex=1 --
>
> this does not work:

Oops.  I through it does, but seems this is only the case for the old &
deprecated boot=on (and maybe even that only in qemu-kvm).

>  qemu: -drive file=winguest.raw,if=virtio,bootindex=1: Invalid parameter
> 'bootindex'
>
> I understand that I probably can replace this single
> -drive with 3 parameters -- -device virtio-blk-pci,
> -drive if=none, and -device ide-drive.

It's two only:
  -drive if=none,id=<name>,...
  -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=<name>

> Also, still, the question in the $subj: how to make the ahci
> drive non-bootable?

I think you can't.

seabios uses a few numbers just above 100 for the internal default
ordering (hd first, then cdrom, then nic, then others) in case no
bootindex is specified.  So you can try bootindex=200, that should get
ahci to the bottom of the boot menu, maybe that is good enougth.

cheers,
  Gerd