qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] unreviewed commits (was: Re: Restore consistent formatt

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] unreviewed commits (was: Re: Restore consistent formatting)
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 12:09:07 +0200

On 04.05.2012, at 04:37, malc wrote:

> On Fri, 4 May 2012, Andreas F?rber wrote:

>>> These patches are admittedly trivial but it is important to stress the
>>> point that all patches need to go on the mailing list before being
>>> committed.
>>>
>>> It's an important part of keeping the development process inclusive.  I
>>> don't think it's reasonable to ask for an Acked-by on something as
>>> simple as indentation changes but at the same time, there's no reason
>>> not to just post patches.
>>
>> The second patch is far from trivial!
>>
>> It unneededly breaks the build on ppc hosts (during the Hard Freeze!),
>> so that I can no longer compile-test my patch series against PowerKVM.
>
> As discussed on IRC, the feature does not work on PPC32, hence it's
> violently disabled, what's needed is a black/white list of AREG0 ready
> targets.

While I agree that it's broken, a runtime error would be a lot better than a
compile time one. The way it's now, it only makes our automated compile tests
fail. And since nobody realized until now that sparc and alpha don't work on
ppc hosts, I don't think having a compile time failure is warranted.

Alex