qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [HACK] hda: expose microphone instead of line-in

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [HACK] hda: expose microphone instead of line-in
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 10:49:58 -0300

On 2012-05-03 09:42, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 03.05.2012, at 14:29, Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> Why? For hw passthrough, mmio doesn't go through qemu anymore, right? :)
>>
>> The point is that both pt as well as emulation suffer from the same
>> issue: lacking real-time support of QEMU. So I guess Windows uses a
>> different buffer size for the real hardware than for our HDA model.
>
> For pt hardware, the BARs just get directly mapped into guest memory space,
> so BAR accesses don't go through QEMU anymore. I guess you're also using the
> in-kernel PIC, at which point you're not using QEMU anymore for the HDA. The
> vcpus should keep running even when you move windows in VNC, right?
>
> So it could just as well be that Windows is not using a different buffer
> size, but you're simply exiting into QEMU a lot less, getting better
> latencies.

That appears like a simple explanation, but I'm basically getting the
same exit rate with emulation as with pt (>2000 userspace exits/s). At
this rate, every significant userspace delay should be audible as it
also delays vcpu execution.

The IRQ rate with pt is around 100 HZ. When does the hardware trigger an
IRQ? Likely before the end of the buffer. At half of its size?

Jan