qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/14] MAINTAINERS cleanups - please read

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/14] MAINTAINERS cleanups - please read
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:00:40 -0500

On 04/16/2012 09:31 AM, Andreas Färber wrote:
Hello,

Sparked by conversations with Anthony and the discussion on a recent KVM call,
I've started overhauling our MAINTAINERS file.

Patches 1-5 fix syntax issues.

Patch 6 documents our orphaned stable trees, as requested by Anthony.

Patch 7 drops the orphaned and by now completely busted darwin-user emulation.

Apparently we have unwritten eligibility criteria for new maintainers in terms
of qemu-devel participation and patch handling quality, but no formal mechanism
to handle replacing lost maintainers.

The current practice has become for Anthony to expect people listed in a
MAINTAINERS section with S: Maintained to handle patches in that area themselves
and to supply a [PULL] request to get those changes into qemu.git.
This has the downside that patches falling into an area, where a maintainer
is listed but not responding, simply bitrot on the list.

I think we ought to aggressively downgrade subsystems if this is really a problem. Unfortunately, it's hard to judge whether this is a problem until someone complains about a specific subsystem.

Patches 8-11 therefore propose to upgrade some actively maintained sections
to Maintained to formalize the Maintained vs. Odd Fixes semantics:

Maintained means PULLs from maintainer expected.

Yes. More specifically, if something is Maintained, I would expect the patch to always come in through that specific tree.

Odd Fixes means Reviewed-by/Acked-by or committer's gut feeling is sufficient.

Yes. Odd Fixes and below means the patch is "fair game" but that the listed M: probably ought to at least be consulted.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Patches 12-13 propose to downgrade the TCG targets in question to Odd Fixes,
to allow committers to handle patches without maintainers' approval.
Not being a committer, I don't want to remove any maintainer, but if someone
doesn't want to and is no longer able to act as maintainer, then please post
a patch yourselves updating MAINTAINERS accordingly. I for one would be happy
to hand over Cocoa maintenance to someone using it more frequently than me
these days, just like I would be happy to let someone else maintain
Solaris/illumos support with a little bit more experience.
The BSDs might also want to formalize what person or mailing list patches
should go through.

Patch 14 documents me volunteering to maintain the 0.15 stable tree.

Regards,
Andreas