qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] RFC: delete darwin-user ?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] RFC: delete darwin-user ?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 00:57:08 +0100

So, the darwin-user/ subdirectory is officially Orphan, and looking
at the git history the last commit to it which wasn't either "apply
a global change", "fix cppcheck/spelling error/similar autodetected
nit" or "duplicate a linux-user fix into darwin-user and bsd-user"
was way back in 2009, perhaps even earlier.

If in three years nobody's cared enough about it to manage to get
a single darwin-user specific change into the tree, my suggestion
would be that it is in practice dead and we should make that
official by deleting it. Then we can stop wasting effort on applying
(untested!) global changes to these files.

Does anybody want to argue against that idea?

(This came up on IRC a month or so ago, and there seemed to be
a consensus that the use case it was originally intended for
(x86 darwin binaries on ppc or vice versa? I forget) was now
no longer interesting to anybody. I don't have a strong opinion
personally but I thought I'd bring the idea up formally here.)

-- PMM