qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] USB 2.0 printer passthrough very slow

From: Reeted
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] USB 2.0 printer passthrough very slow
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:49:50 +0200

On 04/03/12 15:33, Erik Rull wrote:
Hi,

please try to use the .cfg file from the docs/ directory,

The ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg ? Yes it's the same thing I am using.
If you look at the <qemu:commandline> section I have replicated that file exactly. I had access rights problem using the .cfg file, that's why I replicated it in the commandline, but it's the same thing really.

using this file, the USB printer speed is really good on my systems. Well it is still an emulation so you'll never get native speed, but it is far better than the USB 1.x emulation we had in 0.1x versions. Best thing to test the approx. transfer speed: Plug in a fast usb key, copy some larger data chunks and measure the time - on the same port where you attach the printer.

I had tested that on a linux guest and it was 6.5MB/sec (dd streaming of the device! Not file copy) as I said, but you are right, it's better if I try it on the real windows guest. I won't have a chance to test it until the weekened though.

Printing e.g. the Windows XP test page takes not really more time than on a native system.

And if you send a second job it follows the first one right away or it takes minutes in between?

What printer?

What qemu version?

Any chance you could post here your commandline? (from ps aux )

What's the guest setting in device management, is it ACPI Uniprocessor
http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/post-9158-1134631266.png
or ACPI Multiprocessor or Standard PC or other?
Mine is ACPI Multiprocessor with 2vCPU. Other settings were almost twice slower in booting the system.

(Sorry for the many questions :-) )

Thanks for your help
R.