qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Intermittent e1000 failure on qemu-kvm 1.0

From: Chris Webb
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Intermittent e1000 failure on qemu-kvm 1.0
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 14:41:47 +0100

Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> writes:

> No, that's weird.  I would have simply tried "b start_xmit" and as
> long as the binary has symbols gdb would know what to do.

I'll get another one and give it a go. There wasn't any particular reason I
gave a line number rather than a function except that I worried there might
be start_xmit in a variety of different nic models compiled into qemu so I
might end up setting the breakpoint on the wrong one. b hw/e1000.c:start_xmit
maybe?

> Are you sure no other guest has the same MAC address or IP address?
> This weird behavior sounds similar to what happens when you have
> multiple devices on a network using the same address - the results are
> very confusing :).

Yes, I agree! However, in this case there's no other guest with the same MAC
or IP address on the network. I've explicitly rechecked this to be sure, and
also deliberately varied the MAC address to something I know can't be
generated by our scripts. In any case, I'm using the same MAC and IP address
for every reboot of this VM, and usually (19 times out of 20) it works fine.

Cheers,

Chris.