qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/9] hostdev: introduce the infrastructure for hos

From: Zhi Yong Wu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/9] hostdev: introduce the infrastructure for host device model
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:18:08 +0800

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> Il 27/03/2012 13:59, Zhi Yong Wu ha scritto:

>>> link<NetDev> is a pointer to another object.  child<NetDev> means that
>> Where are link<NetDev> used?
>
> The peer property needs to be one.
sorry, i don't get what it means.

>> what is relationship between the two objects?
>
> A has a pointer to B.
I knew this, but can you say one example in QEMU device model? I
checked QEMU code, and found that those link functions in object.c are
not currently used. right?

>> it represent the relation between bus object and device object?
>
> We're talking about netdevs, bus and object does not matter here no?
yeah.

>> We will not convert -net to QOM, that is, we don't care -net nic.
>
> As long as it works that's fine but...
>
>> Moreover, -device has exposed network card info.
>
> ... this is extremely confused.  Each NIC device has a NIC-type
> NetClientState.  If NetClientState is converted to QOM, all of its
The original idea about -netdev QOM is to convert NetClientState to
QOM, but now this idea seems to be changed.
> instances should be QOM objects, including those owned by NICs.
>
>>> 3) the network devices already support hotplug very well, so it's also
>>> not too useful to do them first.  Let's first do chardevs.
>>
>> We hope that -netdev options info can be configurated or changed
>> purely via QOM, not command line.
>
> Yes, but does it buy anything or it is just a nice exercise?
buy anything? sorry, i don't understand this.

--
Regards,

Zhi Yong Wu