qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:01:17 -0500

On 03/22/2012 12:14 PM, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:37:39AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 03/22/2012 04:32 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:53:19AM -0300, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
So, this problem is solved if the defaults are easily found on
/usr/share.

What problem is solved and why are we mixing machine configuration files
and cpu configuration files? They are different and should be treated
differently. -nodefconfig exists only because there is not machine
configuration files currently. With machine configuration files
libvirt does not need -nodefconfig because it can create its own machine
file and make QEMU use it. So specifying machine file on QEMU's command
line implies -nodefconfig. The option itself loses its meaning and can be
dropped.

No, -nodefconfig means "no default config".

As with many projects, we can have *some* configuration required.

The default configure should have a:

[system]
address@hidden@/cpu-models-x86_64.cfg

Not @SYSCONFDIR@, but @address@hidden CPU models belong to /usr/share because
they aren't meant to be changed by the user (I think I already explained
why: because we have to be able to deploy fixes to them).

Stanza by default.  If libvirt wants to reuse this, they can use
-readconfig if they use -nodefconfig.

You are just repeating how you believe it should work based on the
premise that "cpudefs are configuration". We're discussing/questioning
this exact premise, here, and I would really appreciate to hear why the
model Gleb is proposing is not valid.

More precisely, this part:

cpu-models-x86.conf is not a configuration file. It is hardware
description file. QEMU should not lose capability just because you run
it with -nodefconfig. -nodefconfig means that QEMU does not create
machine for you, but all parts needed to create a machine that would have
been created without -nodefconfig are still present. Not been able to
create Nehalem CPU after specifying -nodefconfig is the same as not been
able to create virtio-net i.e the bug.

And the related points Gleb mentioned further in this thread.

Because the next patch series that would follow would be a -cpu-defs-path that would be a one-off hack with a global variable and a -no-cpu-defs.

So let's avoid that and start by having a positive configuration mechanism that the user can use to change the path and exclude it. My suggestion eliminate the need for two future command line options.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori