qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] XP install cores with SCSI LSI 53C895A disks

From: Gerhard Wiesinger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] XP install cores with SCSI LSI 53C895A disks
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 07:25:15 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Michael Tokarev wrote:

On 08.03.2012 11:44, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
On 03/07/12 20:58, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2012, Brian Jackson wrote:
I think most people trying to use qemu for anything useful have given
up on if=scsi. Some distros even disable support because they don't
want to QA it. That should be a decent sign that you may want to avoid
it.

OK, but SAS (Serial attached SCSI) is technology in the area of storage
interface technology where all big storage vendors see future (e.g. they
give up: FC and SATA drives, SATA drives are replaced by MDL SATA drives
(SATA 7200RPM drives with SAS interface)).

The problem isn't scsi.  The problem is the lsi adapter.  Problem #1 is
the hardware design which makes it hard to emulate it correctly and #2
that you need a non-redistributable rom file to boot from it.

#2 isn't an issue actually, at least for Debian users --
I just patched extbook back to allow booting from scsi and
to let people some transition time to move from boot=on
syntax which was supported before 1.0 and dropped suddenly
without any warnings in 1.0, breaking people setup.  I
think I'll continue shipping extboot support at least as
long as there's no native support for scsi booting in bios.

What's extbook? Can you please explain a little bit the concept? Links?
Or is it extboot option ROM? But currently not any more in qemu?

Thnx.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--