qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: rtl8139 improvements

From: Gerhard Wiesinger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: rtl8139 improvements
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 07:40:20 +0100 (CET)

Ping. Any comments?

Thnx.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
http://www.wiesinger.com/

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to implement better emulation and wider OS support for the rtl8139 card. Therefore I want to see the following testcases to be successful:

* Testcases and successful regression tests:
* 1.) DOS RSET8139.EXE: EEPROM Test successful
* 2.) DOS RSET8139.EXE: Local loopback Test (Run Diagnostics On Board)
* 3.) DOS RSET8139.EXE: Remote loopback Test as Initiator (Run Diagnostics On Network) * 4.) DOS RSET8139.EXE: Remote loopback Test as Responder (Run Diagnostics On Network)
* 5.) DOS driver: Loads and works
* 6.) Linux tests
* 7.) Windows tests

I fixed already a major bug in DMA handling and (real hardware doesn't reset DMA register to 0 on reset condition as DOS driver crashes OS, see patch for details) and improved EEPROM handling and checksumming as well as unimplemented register handling (As Jason did partially in latest patch).

But finally testcases 1-4 aren't successful, testcase 5 (DOS driver and MS SMB client) works but I think there are still problems, see below.

Details:
Ad 1.) EERPOM Test: I also copied a full EEPROM from real hardware but still no success. According to the logs everything is read correctly. Also verified checksumming to real hardware . Any ideas?
(Attached rtl8139-diag.c will also help to diagnose)

Ad 2.) Local Loopback Test: One packet succeeds, other fail. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Ad 5.) DOS driver loads and also works but I think there is still a strange thing in packet receiving and possible sending (e.g. DHCP request is done twice). I also did some change in packet handling. See patch.

To get this to work I'm a little bit lost now and I need your help and comments and suggestions.

Can someone also make tests under DOS with RSET8139.EXE?
I think it is a good testing program how good our emulation is.

RSET8139.EXE can be found at:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
Look for DOS Diagnostic program (RSET8139).

Patch is attached as diff and not indented to be used as regular patch since not ready for commit.

Thnx.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--