qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Restore consistent formatting

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Restore consistent formatting
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 07:46:24 -0600

On 02/09/2012 03:48 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  writes:

On 02/08/2012 09:04 AM, malc wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2012, Andreas F?rber wrote:

malc,

Arbitrarily reformatting your files is not okay. If you want a different
formatting, you need to fix checkpatch.pl first to not error on that
formatting in your files.

It was always formatter like this (internally consistent), then others
added code which made it not so.

We do have a mixed style in the audio layer.  I'm not happy about that
but I also feel strongly that going through and doing a reformat is
not a worthwhile exercise.

I can also understand the desire to keep things consistent.  But
patches should always go to the mailing list.  I certainly would have
acked such a patch FWIW.

You buried the one truly important sentence, let me dig it out for you:

         *** Patches should always go to the mailing list ***

Exceptions need justification.  Responsible handling embargoed security
issues may qualify.  Style fixes certainly not.

100% agreed.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

[...]