qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Code Audit Team

From: Chris Wright
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Code Audit Team
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 09:37:27 -0800

* Anthony Liguori (address@hidden) wrote:
> 2) Two people walk through a particular piece of code and
> independently flag anything that looks like a potential security
> issue.

Auditing is always helpful, but won't ever get full coverage.  qtest +
fuzz is another great way to identify problems.  Also improving any
anotations to help static analysis tools is useful.  And both of those
are development efforts rather than code review.  Trouble with code
review is that security bugs can be subtle and easy to miss.

> I'd want to focus initially on the common PC devices.   The list
> isn't all that large and a review like this should only take a few
> hours to complete each step.

I definitely agree on the initial scope.

thanks,
-chris