qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Device sandboxing

From: Paul Moore
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Device sandboxing
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 18:56:40 -0500

On Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:15:58 AM Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Paul Moore (address@hidden):

> > > To be perfectly honest, I think prototyping and measuring
> > > performance is going to be the only way to figure out the right
> > > approach here.>
> > Agreed.  I'm currently working on a prototype to play around with some
> > of the ideas discussed in this thread.  As soon as it is functional
> > I'll send a pointer/patches/etc. to the list.
>
> Hey Paul,
>
> just wondering, exactly which approache(s) are you prototyping?  Are you
> touching seccomp2?

The decomposed approach as I felt (well, still do for that matter) that the
enhanced seccomp stuff could be put to even better use in a decomposed mode of
operation.

However, earlier this week those of us involved in this effort were strongly
discouraged (this probably isn't the best term to use, but there is a reason
I'm a programmer and not an english student) from pursuing the decomposed
prototype further so work on it has dropped off considerably.

I still think it is worth pursuing, if for no other reason than to answer
questions that right now we can only answer with educated guesses, but it is
no longer my main focus.  If anyone else is interested in this feel free to
drop me some email and I can bring you up to speed on the current status.

As far as the enhanced seccomp patches for QEMU, I believe Corey said that IBM
was starting work on a prototype based on the patches that Will posted earlier
this year.  I don't expect this change to be very substantial, the hard part
will be determining the syscall filter and maintaining it over time.

--
paul moore
virtualization @ redhat