qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/4] virtio-mmio transport

From: Pawel Moll
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/4] virtio-mmio transport
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 11:16:19 +0000

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 02:52 +0000, Paul Brook wrote:
> I've taken a look at the virtion-mmio spec, and it looks fairly
> reasonable.
>
> The only thing I'd change is the GuestPageSize/QueuePFN mess.  Seems like
> just
> using straight 64-bit addresses would be a better solution.  Maybe split into
> a high/low pair to keep all registers as 32-bit registers.

This can be done fairly simple by:
1. Bumping Version register content.
2. Adding two registers: QueueAddrLow (0x44) and QueueAddrHigh (0x48).
3. Describing the QueuePFN as obsolete.

Than the driver would just use Addr or PFN depending on the device's
version.

I can do that, but not this year (on holiday from Friday 16th, without
any access to Internet whatsoever :-) One think to be decided is in what
order the halfs should be filled? Low first, then high? High then low?
Does it matter at all? :-)

Cheers!

Paweł