qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] cannot build qemu with "--static" configure option

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] cannot build qemu with "--static" configure option
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:18:12 +0000

On 23 November 2011 12:58, Mr Dash Four <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am trying to build a static version of the qemu-[arch] executables to be
> used in chrooted environment for the target arch (which is different from
> the host). My configure is:
>
> ./configure --target-list="x86_64-softmmu arm-softmmu x86_64-linux-user
> arm-linux-user armeb-linux-user" --disable-kvm --disable-strip --disable-xen
> --disable-spice --disable-werror --static
>
> then "make V=1". It fails with the following error:

You're trying to build the -softmmu targets with --static here too
(which means we try to compile a bunch of things that were never intended
to be run as static executables that way).
You're probably better off doing two separate configure and build
runs, one with just the -linux-user targets and --static, and the other
with just the -softmmu targets (and no --static).

Having said that, building arm-softmmu with --static works for me:
which version of QEMU are you trying to build? (we might have fixed
this in the 1.0 release candidate, so that's worth testing.)

-- PMM