qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Status of the SH4 / ARM7 emulators

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Status of the SH4 / ARM7 emulators
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 21:53:13 +0000

On 19 November 2011 21:20, Renato Utsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Well, I am making a dreamcast emulator and I wanted to know the status of
> the sh-4 emulator, if it is stable, if it actually works, etc... And the
> same for the ARM7-TDMI emulator (if QEMU supports it, it supports?), because
> this would save months of work.

The ARM target doesn't implement ARM7TDMI. The oldest CPU we support
is the ARM9. (I suppose ARM7TDMI could in theory be added; we have
other v4T architecture cores already. Personally I'm more interested
in the newer end of ARM's product line than the older end, though...)

> I will look the documentation, but how could I use the QEMU emulation
> without opening the actual program? I mean, there is a library for using the
> emulation in another programs?

QEMU doesn't support this -- it emulates an entire system, it does not
provide a pluggable component you can use to do only "cpu emulation"
as part of some other system emulator.

We also don't support having multiple CPUs with different architectures
in one emulator: you can have an ARM emulator, or an SH4 emulator,
but not an emulation of a system with both an ARM and an SH4 core.

-- PMM