qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] vmstate: Add copyrights for all cpus

From: Juan Quintela
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] vmstate: Add copyrights for all cpus
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 23:52:26 +0100

Blue Swirl <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 17:38, Juan Quintela <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> This patch adds copyrights to all the machine description files for
>> all architectures supported. (this is done on top of my vmstate-cpus
>> series patches) The problem?
>>
>> - What should we put as "copyirght" owners.
>>
>> Althought I modified almost every line of the files, mostly of the
>> changes are a conversion, so claiming myself as the only "copyright"
>> owner sounds at least pretentious, and more than probably false.
>>
>> I tried to "dig" into the git logs and tried to came with "whoever"
>> commit the initial cpu_save/load foar each architecture.  I have put
>> them as:
>>
>>  * Based on qemu-file support done by:
>>  *   Richard Henderson <address@hidden>
>
> I don't think this is correct at all.

I posted it as an example to start the discussion.  If you don't like
it, an specific example of what to do would be perfect O:-)

I think I put it somewhere that I just stole it from
hw/virtio-serial-bus.c (i.e. it is not even mine).

>> But I would preffer that the persons involved state what copyright
>> notice they want, name, address, year(s), etc.  (Some architectures
>> already have a propper copyright notice, I didn't touch them), and
>> others had an empty file (I put mine there on the previosu series).
>>
>> Several of the logs are from the svn days, and then I don't know if
>> the person was the committer, or the author.  If anyone contributed
>> to the functionality and want to add its copyright, please told me.
>>
>> To make things more complicated, when machine.c files were split from
>> vl.c, they didn't carry any copyright notice at all, should we copy
>> back everything from vl.c?
>
> Yes, vl.c says Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard and its license
> is BSD like, not GPLv2only. I'd use those as a starting point for
> machine files originating from vl.c.

/*
 * QEMU System Emulator
 *
 * Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard
 *
 * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
 * of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
 * in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
 * to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
 * copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
 * furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
 *
 * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
 * all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
 * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
 * THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
 * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
 * OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
 * THE SOFTWARE.
 */

>> To make things more complicated, it looks like Thiemo Seufer did the
>> original mips support, and he passed away.  So he can't obviously
>> comment.
>>
>> Anthony asked me to send a patch to the list, asking form comments.
>>
>> alpha:
>> CC: Richard Henderson <address@hidden>
>>
>> arm:
>> CC: Andrzej Zaborowski <address@hidden>
>>
>>  (it appears as balrog, but on irc channel peter told me that balrog
>>  has him)
>>
>> cris:
>> CC: Edgar E. Iglesias <address@hidden>
>>
>> i386:
>>
>> Fabrice Bellard?
>>
>>  * Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard
>>
>> Didn't cc'd him because he left project/didn't have email address on
>> MAINTAINERS/vl.c.  If you think that I should cc'd to him, just let me
>> know.
>
> Yes.

google says: address@hidden

Sending second round later.

>> lm32:
>>
>> CC: Michael Walle <address@hidden>
>>
>> mips:
>>
>> Thiemo Seufer?
>>
>> ppc & sparc:
>>
>> CC: Blue Swirl <address@hidden>
>
> Sparc: I think I was behind e80cfcfc8884400e826328b772971913a14d0f44
> aka SVN 1179 but Fabrice's hand was there too especially in later
> commits.

Going to send another one with you & Fabrice.

> PPC: OK except for license. Most definitely Nack for GPLv2only.

As Paolo said, once here, it is better to move to GPL2 or later, or you
preffer the one directly from vl.c?

>> What do you think, what should we do?  Juan.
>
> In general the approach is fine.

As everybody cc'd answered by know, sending second round with
suggestions/corrections and adding Fabrice.

Thanks, Juan.