qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [F.A.Q.] the advantages of a shared tool/kernel Git rep

From: Ingo Molnar
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [F.A.Q.] the advantages of a shared tool/kernel Git repository, tools/perf/ and tools/kvm/
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 09:55:10 +0100

* Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <address@hidden> wrote:

> > sure the colors have enougth contrast so they are readable.
>
> Problem is figuring out something that is considered a good default
> :-\ There will always be somebody that will complain.
>
> When doing the coding to allow using the default xterm colors I
> tried several of the gnome-terminal xterm profiles and all looked
> kinda sane for the "top" (hottest functions, with most hits) and
> "medium" lines, where we combine some chosen foreground color
> ("red" and "green").
>
> Laziest solution would be: If the user customizes that much, could
> the user please customize this as well? :-)

I don't think it's acceptable to output unreadable color combinations
(red on dark red, etc.) in any case, so we should add some safety
mechanism that detects bad color combinations and a fallback, static
color scheme.

I like the current way how perf top/report adapts to the xterm color
scheme. I use it both on dark and white backgrounds and it's easy to
mistake it for --stdio output - which is good, a good TUI should
blend into the console's color scheme. So i think we should keep that
and just detect the few cases where it results in something
unreadable.

Thanks,

        Ingo