qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GPLv3 troubles

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GPLv3 troubles
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:47:45 +0200

On 10/17/2011 12:45 PM, Andreas Färber wrote:
Could we please draft some policy on this? This is not a GDB issue, it's
very general. Whether we like it or not, there is GPLv3-licensed code
and there will probably be a GPLv4 one day.

IMO having old GPLv2-only code is one thing. But there's a lot of new
GPLv2-only code cooking and occasionally pouring in, especially from
qemu-kvm. Device assignment is a current example I encountered.

If we could make checkpatch.pl detect new GPLv2-only code, then I would
hope, given the dynamic QEMU development of the last few years, that the
GPLv2-only portions become so small (both in relation and absolute) that
they can either be replaced or the authors' permission be obtained to
change the license to GPLv2-or-later.

That is close to impossible, you usually ask permission for all the authors in the history to avoid bigger problems.

Paolo