qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] python scripts

From: reed kotler
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] python scripts
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 09:25:40 -0700

On 09/01/2011 01:08 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 07:20:14PM -0700, reed kotler wrote:
I recently made a major addition (about 150 new instructions) to
MIPS QEMU to add the DSP instructions for Mips  and Micro MIPS
processors.

To make this process simpler and less error prone, I generated a
large amount of the code and framework from python scripts. This
code is much easier to produce and maintain.

I.e. python scripts producing C code and header files.

I would like to check the python scripts along with the changes to
autoconf into QEMU and have the build process produce the C code.

We have another large project where we want to use this same
technique again.

Is there any big objection to this?

The python is very simple and would probably work with python version 0.1.
Of course the configure script can test for a proper python being present.
Python is already used to generate code for the QEMU Guest Agent
(qemu-ga) which is merged in qemu.git.  If you already have Python
patches ready, I suggest just sending them and seeing what people think.

Stefan
    Awesome.

We are syncing to main branch and I will do some clean up this weekend and hopefully we can have something you can look at on Tuesday.

We have a huge suite of MIPS internal tests for testing MIPS DSP instructions and all these new instructions that we added pass. These tests are the same ones used to certify real hardware.

Reed