qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Guest kernel device compatability auto-detection

From: Sasha Levin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Guest kernel device compatability auto-detection
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 09:22:45 +0300

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 16:25 +0000, Decker, Schorschi wrote:
> I would ask two things be done in the design if it goes forward, 1)
> have an explicit way to disable this feature, where the hypervisor
> cannot interact with the guest OS directly in any way if disablement
> is selected.

I doubt that this (or anything similar) introduced will even be set to
on by default. It has the potential of breaking stuff that would work
otherwise (thats why the default boot is with the safest configuration
possible).

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 16:25 +0000, Decker, Schorschi wrote:
> 2) implement the feature as an agent in the guest OS where the
> hypervisor can only query the guest OS agent, using a standard TCP/IP
> methodology.

I was planning to implementing it by probing the image before actually
booting it.
This process is completely offline and doesn't require interaction with
the guest. The guest isn't even running at that point.

--

Sasha.