qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VGA pass through and AHCI emulation status

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VGA pass through and AHCI emulation status
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:02:51 +0200

On 08.07.2011, at 10:25, Piwko, Maciej wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are currently working on passing primary VGA to GOS and checking AHCI
> emulation. Therefore we are facing problem with that tasks.
> My questions are:
> 1. What is the status of VGA pass-through? Are there any known issues with
> that? Are there any fixes/patches on the way?

Better don't hold your breath here.

> 2. AHCI emulation works fine - but only in Linux GOS. Unfortunately we would
> like to run it in FreeBSD. The controller is seen but no drive can be
> detected. Therefore my question is: What is the status of this emulation? Are
> there any known issues? Are there any patches/fixes on the way?

AHCI emulation works with all guests I've tested so far except for one BSD
flavor. I guess it was FreeBSD then :). The FreeBSD driver does some very
awkward things, loading the AHCI driver only if it detects an ICH IDE
controller. I debugged it for about a day and then just gave up on it, as we do
have some pretty skilled FreeBSD developers in the community and I was hoping
they'd just take a look at it :).

If you're interested in getting AHCI to work with FreeBSD, I'd be more than
happy to review your patches :).

Alex

PS: Device emulation mails should always go to qemu-devel, as that's the
project developing them. The KVM list is mainly for KVM specific code (like
device passthrough for now), but AHCI definitely belongs to the qemu category.